Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Master Schedule

Having a master schedule saves me a lot of time during the school year.  I decide how many days I want to spend on core curriculum, and then divide the books by that many days.  Usually the number of days is determined by a math book or a grammar book - one lesson per day.  This year we have 140 days.  I know this seems like a small number.  In our school district, the calendar has 190 days.  A Beka is based on 170 days.  These really are arbitrary numbers.  There is no scientific reason for them.  Having a smaller number of days gives us lots of time for field trips, workshop days, being sick, cleaning the house and whatever else life throws at us without the pressure of feeling like we're "getting behind."

To make my master schedule, I set up a table in Word.  Then I copy it for the number of days, then go through one subject at a time and fill in each day.  When I have finished putting all the subjects in, I print it out and bind it in a folder.  Once it is printed, any changes are just written in with a pen.  I also write notes and ideas as I go - my goal is to have a useful tool, not a perfect-looking page.  As I go through it during the year, I cut the top right corner off the pages that are complete so that it is easy to find where I am.

We do each subject each day.  This year I have a new chart layout because B2 will be doing some schoolwork this year.  Two days are printed on a page.  Here is what it looks like:

G1 is in grade 4, B1 is in grade 1, and B2 is in junior kindergarden.

Throughout the year I plan a week at a time.  I look at the calendar and see what's on it - doctor or dentist appointments, field trips, etc.  Then I decide How many days of school we will do (usually 4) and put them on our weekly calendar.

Sometimes I will split days (eg. on Oct 8, do 1/2 of Day 20 and Oct 9, do 1/2 of Day 20).

When something is completed, we cross it off with a highlighter in the master schedule.  That way we can still read what it says, but it is clear what is completed and what is left.  During the day, the schedule stays open to the page on the kitchen counter.  It is nice to flip through and see all the color knowing that it is work completed.

No comments: