Friday, June 20, 2008

number tokens

Math games are great for kids.  If they are fun, the kids will enjoy playing them.  As they get better at the games, they are also building math skills which will help them in other things.  Math games can be made very cheaply so you can play a variety of games.  We play math games all summer even though we don't do "school".

Many of my math games use the same basic number tokens.  Number tokens are simply a set of numbers that can be picked up, turned over, etc.  You could use cards (either playing cards or make your own), but I made some out of old concentrated juice can lids.

They are perfect for it - they are sturdy, they have no sharp edges, and if I didn't use them for school, they would go into the garbage or be recycled.


If you don't drink frozen concentrated juice, ask friends to save them for you.  You will be surprised at how fast they add up.


My husband does video work, so I just happen to have small circular labels, that he has left over from the center of the DVD labels.  I use these on my number tokens, but you could use any type of label.  I found writing directly onto the lid didn't work very well for me because of the finish on the metal.


The basic set of number tokens is the numbers 0 - 9.









 Three of each number is a good amount, and just happens to fit perfectly into the small snack-sized Pringles cans for storage.  (Yes, the can for storage was the most expensive part of the set, but it was also a good excuse to buy chips!)









So this set uses: 30 juice lids each labeled with a number, three each of the numbers 0 - 9.




Stay tuned for lots of games to do with this basic set.

No comments: